SharePoint 2010 | You must specify a value for this required field

After creating my custom master page, every time a edit and saved the page, I got the popup:

"You must specify a value for this required field."

Turns out it happens when you set the place holder PlaceHolderPageTitleInTitleArea with Visible attribute false.

The solution, for Travis Mathison, is to wrap the placeholder in a panel, linked with a css visibility attribute set to false instead of doing it through the place holder attribute.







.hiddenpanel{visibility:hidden;}

Although Travis saved my life by finding this solution, I worked out my own through his, and now you don't need an external css file, and the white-space occupied by the place holder won't show up.







Note: SharePoint 2007 works great either way. My solution in IE for SharePoint 2010 still shows some text on the bottom of the page. Anyway, I decided not to hide this place holder, since it gives some context options for lists and such, and won't be available if the place holder is removed from the page.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tmathis/archive/2010/03/18/you-must-specify-a-value-for-this-required-field-error-when-hidding-placeholderpagetitleintitlearea.aspx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking down document locking in SharePoint

Working around X-Frame-Options for iframes

Document ID not being generated