1) make sure in run -> "services.msc", that office sharepoint search engine services are running
2) make sure all server services are running
3) make any last configurations / correct any issues
4) go to shared services for seach configuration
5) configure at least one information repository (site) and activate indexing
* People Search
The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress.
- In Central Admin, Stop and Start Office SharePoint Server Search Service
- In SSP Admin, go to Search Settings under Search, Click Content Sources and on the context item menu select "Start full search"
- On the above page, click "Start update now"